When our chapel was built in 1886, Canal Street was the busy heart of a thriving South Wigston community. By 2007 it had a decidedly run-down air. The chapel was surrounded by derelict factories and a closed down pub. When South Leicestershire College announced plans to relocate to Canal Street the news was generally welcomed by the people of South Wigston. For us the problem was that the chapel lay right in the middle of the site where it was planned to build the new college. Was it practicable to fight to save a decaying building for the sake of a small congregation?
Luckily another solution presented itself. The college authorities offered us a place in a Multi-Faith Centre in their new building if we would allow them to demolish the chapel. The Church Meeting took the bold decision to go along with this plan. Thus began our years as a pilgrim people.
In July 2010 we took up residence in the Multi-Faith Centre. We worship God in a modern facility with new technology possibilities. We are placed in a busy college surrounded by staff and young students. The opportunities are exciting. We ask you to join us in praying for God’s guidance and support as we seek set out on a new stage in our journey. We are still called to be a pilgrim people.